   Re: [xml-dev] Before fragmenting, fix the broken bits first

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 13:14 +1100, david.lyon@computergrid.net wrote:
> Uche,
>
> Quoting Uche Ogbuji <Uche.Ogbuji@fourthought.com>:
>
> > The API problem is certainly far more interesting, but I'm not convinced
> > the XML community as a whole can get together to fix it.  I think the
> > whole problem with DOM and SAX is that they are LCDs for all the various
> > languages and platforms interested in XML.  I think the best APIs are
> > environment-specific.  From COmega to HAXML, the right work is already
> > progressing.  Let's just keep the W3C out of it.
>
> ok, but where does the xml api really start and where does it really
> end? that is the question...
>
> sometimes we get fixated with the idea that there is only one
> CPU and one communications link. It might have been this way in
> the past in the Commodore 64 and PDP-11 days but it's not like
> this now and certainly won't be like this in the future either..
>
> in those days.... the computer only extended as far as the
> the serial lines and the line printer....
>
> now... the computer stretches right the way round the developed
> world...
>
> so the parser is not the full extent of the api... just an
> ever diminishing part....

I'm being honest here.  I really don't understand this entire thought,
but I get the sense it's rather esoteric.  My interest is a bit more
pedestrian.

Use CSS to display XML - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss-i.html
Introducing the Amara XML Toolkit - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/01/19/amara.html
Be humble, not imperial (in design) - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=10286