   Re: [xml-dev] Why associate an attribute with a namespace ?

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:36:03 +0200, mihaiu@mihaiu.name
<mihaiu@mihaiu.name> wrote:

> >The rationale is to allow attributes whose semantics are independent of the
> >element they appear on: examples are xml:lang, xml:base, xsi:type,
> >xsl:version.
> >

>        The purpose of a namespace is to make it easier to avoid name collisions. The
> special attributes that you speak about only need some kind to special syntax
> in order to distinguish them from the others.

Yeah, that speciial syntax is called namespaces...

<snip>new form of special case syntax adding yet more semantic confusion</snip>

>        I hope that you understand me: there is no need for namespaces in this case
> because namespaces are designed to solve a *completely* different set of
> problems.

Prey tell, exactly what would that be?

>        One more thing: you said "independent". For mode clarity I will quote you
> again:
>
> >The rationale is to allow attributes whose semantics are independent of the
> >element they appear on:
>
> The attributes are not independent from the element containing them; they apply
> to the containing element inclusively. For example the xml:lang attribute: if
> this attribute is applied to a mixed content element then you expect that the
> #PCDATA from the current element will respect the xml:lang attribute (not only
> its children).

You appear to be confusing semantics with scope.

--
Peter Hunsberger