   RE: [xml-dev] Transmitting XML between different applications

> 1) The binary XML idea. I would appreciate some
> reference. How it fits into technical architecture,
> vendor support etc?

I'm not recommending this approach. I just mentioned that there's a
long-running thread on xml-dev on the subject, which you might be interested
in.

> 2) One question I asked earlier in this thread. If I
> create a DOM object at source application using
> Xerces; can I consume this DOM object using another
> parser at recieving end (for e.g. Oracle).

No, not if you serialize it using the default Java object serialization.

> 3) You said -"other possibilities include writing out
> SAX events to a SAX serializer". How is it actually
> implemented? My understanding is - SAX API is used
> while reading the XML document. Can it also be used to
> *create* XML documents?

By "SAX serializer" I mean an implementation of the SAX ContentHandler
interface that serializes SAX events to a lexical XML output stream. The
most portable way of getting a SAX serializer is to use JAXP to get an
identity transformer handler writing to a StreamResult:

ContentHandler serializer =
  ((SAXTransformerFactory)new TransformerFactory()).newTransformerHandler();
serializer.setResult(new StreamResult(System.out));

You can then write the output with calls such as

serializer.startElement("books.uri", "book", "my:book");
etc.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/