   Composite constraints

In XML Schema is it possible to express a constraint such as
"field1.maxLength + field2.maxLength must not exceed 50 characters"
without constraining any one field to less than 50 characters on it's
own?  The use case is that a client of ours denormalized their database
so that two fields represented distinctly in xml are stored together in
one column within a single inadequately sized column in their database.
I know there are many solutions to this problem that /don't/  include
Schema, I just would like to know if there is a way to do this through
Schema constraints.

--
Thanks,

Charles Woerner