   Re: [xml-dev] Schema, BNF and parsing

At 01:03 PM 3/4/2005, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>The 'XML Way' is to express the grammar of your language at the
>element and attribute level, not the character sequence level.
>
>There are a range of technologies intended to do this, including DTDs,
>W3C XML Schemas, Relax NG and Schematron.  I'd encourage you to have a
>look at these, rather than hacking at the character level.
>
>Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood your question.

Well I'm not sure you have...you could be right !

As I see it the schema says "This element can have this sort of attribute"
and so forth. Which to me is like a BNF grammar, you can
have certain things followed by other things but exclude other elements. My
real "beef" is the 2666 line script. It has numerous
redundancies (i.e. duplicate code) and looks like a nightmare to maintain.
And we can't get it (so far as I see) to do things like
macro substitution (which we will need) or build symbol tables (which we
will need) or manage complex control flow specifications (which we will need)
Thanks for the suggestions - I will look into them.
andrew

>ht
>--
>  Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh
>                      Half-time member of W3C Team
>     2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
>             Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk
>[mail really from me _always_ has this .sig -- mail without it is forged spam]

Andrew Jeavons

www.andrewjeavons.com

+1 513 871 8278