From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
To: "William J. Kammerer" <wkammerer@novannet.com>; "XML Developers
List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Sunday, 06 March, 2005 01:46 PM
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Is there a way to reuse and extend an enumeration
in XML schema

Yes - I should have added that I was one of the early UBL members back
in 2001 (you had no way of knowing that).

> I don't think it would be at all practical to "filter" these
> (numerous and voluminous) messages through a centralized Web Service.

Oh, I wasn't thinking centralized - let's think more broadly, as in
distributed/federated.

> And it's generally only the two trading partners - or a
> relatively small trading community around them - who've
> agreed to use a particular extension or restriction of the
> standard code lists.  Most other folks using UBL - or even
> OASIS or UN/CEFACT, the UBL standards people  - would
> probably remain blissfully unaware of any new currency codes, say.
> Bosak's example entailed the hypothetical FQD (Free Iraqi
> Dollar[sic]); forget for the moment that even if the "free"
> Iraqi Dollar (or Dinar) ever were to see its way into
> existence, ISO 4317 would require the first two characters of
> the currency code match the ISO 3166 code of the country
> issuing the currency (the notable exception being the euro,
> EUR), resulting in something like  IQF.

Good points - perhaps UBL users could be furnished with one or more
stylesheets that would do the trick? They could download these from the
UBL site, perhaps - or perhaps the stylesheets could be "custom
generated" through user entry into a simple form from the UBL site into
which the user enters information regarding their code list extensions,
and out pops a tailored stylesheet that could be inserted into the
processing stream between them and their trading partners.

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World