   Re: [xml-dev] Native XML and XML Enabled database

On 23 Mar 2005 14:50:17 +0530, Priti Patil <priti@dsl.serc.iisc.ernet.in> wrote:

> I want to know decide between XML Native (e.g. eXist, X-Hive) and XML
> enabled (e.g. DB2, Microsoft SQL server 2000)

Even though I spent a lot of time 5 years ago evangelizing the
distinction, I don't think it holds much water anymore.  Pretty much
all the commercially important DBMS support (at least in the
soon-to-be released versions) native XML datatypes and XQuery.  The
distinction now is more one of specialization (presumably allowing a
lower footprint, support cost, etc.) vs generality (allowing re-use of
existing product knowledge, a common platform for all data management
needs).

> Following is the list of the features by which I want to compare them.
>
> 1) ordered access
> 2) User defined Function application
> 3) Sorting
> 4) result construction in XML format
> 5) Text Search
> 6) Joins on values
> 7) Datatype casting
> 8) Aggregation

Those are all features of XQuery (or in the case of Text search,
V.next of the XQuery and the proprietary extensions of many
implementations).   You'll just have to look at the fine print in the
spec sheets to determine which XQuery features are supported by which
versions of which products.

Oops, almost forgot the obligatory link to the fount of collected
wisdom on XML database products
http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDatabaseProds.htm