   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT with DOM or SAX ?

Razvan MIHAIU wrote:

>> Provided that DOM is hugely inefficient for performing XSLT, most XSLT
>> processors always build their own proprietary optimized tree
>> representation of an input XML to work with.
>> Given that it's clear that DOM is just a waste of memory here - use
>> SAX instead.
>>
>    I do not understand. An XSLT processor can require random access to
> the XML instance. With SAX you would be forced to pass the document
> multiple times.

Nope, it just builds optimized in-memory XML tree to work with. Just
take a look at Xalan or Saxon's sources.
This is actually hot spot for various optimizations in XSLT, e.g. see
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/dtm.html.

>    Are you suggesting to use SAX to build an in-memory representation of
> XML other than DOM ?

Sure. Unless your source XML is already in DOM, what's the point to use
DOM if XSLT processor's building its own in-memory representation?

--
Oleg Tkachenko
http://blog.tkachenko.com