   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT with DOM or SAX ?

M. David Peterson wrote:

 >Sorry, I meant XSLT processor.  And with Xerces I am assuming Xalan
 >but obviously it could just as easily be Saxon or a variety of
 >others...

    Indeed, I am using Xalan.

 >More than the actual applications you plan to use I was meaning more
 >along the lines of what type of application you are planning to build.

    I am trying to stabilize my theoretical concepts. I am playing with
XSLT in order to learn its features but I do not have to build any
specific application right now.

 >However, Oleg (and hes someone who knows a great deal in this area)
 >brings up a very good point and you really should consider his council
 >in this matter.  It doesnt seem you are too worried about the
 >internals of the transformation process (or have I misunderstood?)

    Actually, this is what I am interested in. I am sure that it will
help me in the future if I understand how XSLT processors work (even if
I cannot see the benefits right now)

 > but
 >understanding what happens on the inside will aid your decision on
 >what format is best to pass the transformation engine.  The chances
 >are mighty good that your XSLT processor will accept a DOM document
 >object but then optimize this to something more to its liking.  As
 >such, if you can save it some steps by using SAX throughout then
 >you're going to find some performance gains.

    Everything is clear for me. I did not know that XSLT processor have
their own internal representation of XML documents. That changes the
landscape quite dramatically. It also makes sense because a lot of DOM
functionality is not required by an XSLT processor (like changing the
original XML instance)

 >In every transformation process
 >exists a tree building process, a stylesheet compilation process, and
 >a transformation process.  If the first two processes can use data
 >with an existing in-memory representation or a pre-compiled stylesheet
 >then all thats really left is performing the transformation and your
 >good to go.

    Steps:

    1. tree building
    2. stylesheet compilation