   Re: [xml-dev] Semantic vs XML Rules (was XRules: Mind your own businessr

this is very close in concept to unibase rules.

i prefer to think of it as "if you need tax amount here's how to
calculate it". then it really is a rule. and can be changed at will.

a rule is an expression (even the ai rules are at the end of the day
just expressions - as noted).

there is however a big difference between the idea that if subtotal or
taxpercent change then recalculate taxamount and what i outlined. in the
latter there is an implication that taxamount exists somewhere and has
to be maintained. in the former taxamount doesn't exist unless you need
it. this late binding means that if the definition of tax amount changes
between use, the so does the value.

there's a whole new world of perma threads here involving is it more
efficient to store and change or calculate as needed ;) we've argued
this one in the dbms world for so long i think there is a sort of uneasy
truce between camps. we use late binding mostly so we can add/subtract
rules as required, but that's our position.

once i work out the yahoo groups thing, i'll contribute directly.

rick

Waleed Abdulla wrote:

> [...]

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall