   Re: [xml-dev] XML friendly runtime templating languages

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:03:07 -0800, Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com> wrote:

<snip/>

> >>*I was wondering if there are other runtime templating languages out
> >>there that I am missing.* I am not including XSLT for runtime processing
> >>because of its need to parse the XML source for each transformation.

A couple of questions/observations:

- depending on your environment you should be able to preparse the
XSLT and perhaps even build a "compiled" version of it;

- do you know for sure that you have to regenerate the template output
each time or is there some level of cacheability?

We use pure XSL in Cocoon pipelines for a lot of heavy template
transfoormation.  If we where doing light weight stuff I think we
could probably support several 100 requests per sec on a DB and Web
pair of servers. When you say highly performant, how restrictive is
your hardware environment?

Finally, have you looked at any of the various Cocoon templating
solutions (which includes Velocity)?

--
Peter Hunsberger