   Re: [xml-dev] XLINK support in browsers

> > You need to declare some styles obviously. (Although you could make
> > this
> > work by adding <?xml-stylesheet?> right after the XML Declaration.
> >
>     Indeed it is working. I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. why do I need to add a style sheet ? I just want to have 2 XML
> documents and to establish a link between them. That is all.
> 2. what "magic" is done by your empty style sheet declaration ? I mean
> you don't even define a type for your style-sheet - like "text/xsl";

I think this is probably why Anne lost patience with you.  You can't
decide whether you're a newbie or all-knowing on the topic.  Maybe there
are two of you?  ;-)

You don't need a stylesheet to *express* links.  You need one to
*display* links.  You yourself brought up the stylesheet requirement by
insisting on seeing the links in all their glory, rather than contenting
yourself to believe that FF/Mozilla understands the link semantics with
or without a stylesheet (they do).

Never mind the fact that an "empty" stylesheet works.  It's just a
quirk.  Mozilla has unfortunately a lot of Internet cruft to carry on
its shoulders and thus the algorithms on how to display things,
especially in the XML realm, can seem arbitrary if you don't follow the
whole sordid history.

BTW, I cover linking display in XML in part 2 of my XML/CSS tutorial:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss2-i.html

I think I show some neat things you can do in browsers, and FF in
particular.

Interested readers should start with part 1 if they're not familiar with
XML/CSS basics:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss-i.html

Use CSS to display XML, part 2 - http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss2-i.html
Writing and Reading XML with XIST - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/03/16/py-xml.html