   Re: [xml-dev] XLINK support in browsers

Uche Ogbuji wrote:
You need to declare some styles obviously. (Although you could make
this
work by adding <?xml-stylesheet?> right after the XML Declaration.

    Indeed it is working. I have a couple of questions:

1. why do I need to add a style sheet ? I just want to have 2 XML
documents and to establish a link between them. That is all.
2. what "magic" is done by your empty style sheet declaration ? I mean
you don't even define a type for your style-sheet - like "text/xsl";

I think this is probably why Anne lost patience with you.  You can't
decide whether you're a newbie or all-knowing on the topic.  Maybe there
are two of you?  ;-)

    By all means: I am a newbie.

You don't need a stylesheet to *express* links.  You need one to
*display* links.
    I understand that. I was thinking from the begging to XSLT when the style in question was CSS.

You yourself brought up the stylesheet requirement by
insisting on seeing the links in all their glory, rather than contenting
yourself to believe that FF/Mozilla understands the link semantics with
or without a stylesheet (they do).

    I managed to see the simple xlinks in action in Amaya without applying any stylesheet. This is why I did not understood why a stylesheet is required. The fact is, I still do not have an answer now, but I will check your articles on the subject. If it will be necessary I will ask questions after gaining more knowledge on the issue.

Never mind the fact that an "empty" stylesheet works.  It's just a
quirk.  Mozilla has unfortunately a lot of Internet cruft to carry on
its shoulders and thus the algorithms on how to display things,
especially in the XML realm, can seem arbitrary if you don't follow the
whole sordid history.

    I can accept a quirk, but it’s unacceptable to learn something without understanding the issue in question. I hope that your articles provide an answer to this 'quirk'.

BTW, I cover linking display in XML in part 2 of my XML/CSS tutorial:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss2-i.html

I think I show some neat things you can do in browsers, and FF in
particular.

Interested readers should start with part 1 if they're not familiar with
XML/CSS basics:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss-i.html

    Be sure that I will read your articles ASAP.

--
Regards,
Razvan

SCJP preparation material: