Re: [xml-dev] Open source request....

The best advice I can give is to go to source-forge and start one. the licensing might be best served by patterning it after the GPL (i think that stands for GNU Public License).

Take a look at JBoss.com - they make money hand over fist, by providing services to the companies that use the freely available JBoss. Also here is the latest from RedHat:

Today's focus:  Red Hat doubles revenue in Q4

By Phil Hochmuth

Red Hat reported its 2005 fiscal fourth quarter and year-end
numbers last week.

For the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2005, which ended Feb. 28,
Red Hat took in $57.5 million in sales - more than double the
amount of revenue the vendor made in the fourth quarter a year
ago. The company also made a profit of $11.8 million for the
quarter. For the fiscal year 2005, Red Hat's revenue also
soared, reaching $196.5 million - a 58% jump from fiscal 2004.

The big revenue boost came from 10,000 new customers Red Hat
says it gained in the fourth fiscal quarter. This was the
highest number of new customers ever gained by the vendor in a
three-month period, Red Hat said. The company is also seeing
strong growth in its sales channels: over half of Red Hat's
sales were done through channel partners, instead of
direct-sales, which is a jump of 50% of the 2004 fourth quarter.
This means more integrators and resellers.

Although not directly relating to the bottom line, Red Hat also
said that the number of applications that run on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux grew to over 1,800, which is an 80% increase
over the number of independent software vendors (ISV) supporting
Red Hat a year ago.

The numbers behind these numbers are the interesting part. As
more software is ported to run on Red Hat, more integrators and
resellers seem willing to bring support for Red Hat servers into
their offerings. While this model is several degrees removed
from Linux's origins as an open source, word-of-mouth
technology, this ISV/channel partner relationship is really
driving Linux as a serious enterprise server platform in
corporations.
To contact: Phil Hochmuth

Phil Hochmuth is a Network World Senior Editor and a former
systems integrator. You can reach him at
<mailto:phochmut@nww.com>.

David Lyon wrote:
Hey folks...

how does one make an open source project... ?

It might seem like a stupid question and a simple thing but I'm toying with the idea of making my computergrid.net an open source project .

One of the best things (I think) about us English speaking countries is our ability to share and grow... sounds corny perphaps.. but I believe it's true.

and as an ardent open source user myself, I certainly prefer open-source products over proprietory ones. But you just can't get around the fact that there are some people who have unique skills in certain areas (and are missing other parts of their brain in compensation).

but there are undoubtably lots of issues... and I have basic questions that relate to financial survival so forth... not that I'm struggling or anything like that I just would prefer things to go up rather than down...

If there are people that have gone through this process and it has helped them then I'd certainly like to hear any comments (on list).

The two big ones that I know of are probably red-hat and mysql. They've done quiete well. But others haven't. Jabber is one of those xml protocols that I haven't heard mentioned much and to me that seems like a bit of a failure. So it's obviously a mixed bag.

Any first hand comments, suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

Regards

David

-- ~~~~~~~~~ john c hardin CIO - http://crossconnections.ws Director - http://www.sanghainteractive.com 313.279.1377 new *VONAGE* number 313.930.5323 cell mailto:john@crossconnections.ws

"The new electronic interdependence recreates the world in the image of a global village."

    Marshall McLuhan, "Gutenberg Galaxy", 1962