   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] smallx XML Infoset and Pipeline Released (Open Sourc

On Apr 8, 2005, at 7:51 AM, Erik Bruchez wrote:

> Alex & all,
>
> Are you aware of Orbeon PresentationServer (OPS in short)?
>
> http://www.orbeon.com/software/
> http://forge.objectweb.org/projects/ops/
>
> It's been years in the works now, has been deployed routinely, and its
> feature set appears to have many parallels with your project's.
>
> Maybe you can be persuaded to look at OPS and help us with it. It is
> available under the LGPL since last summer.

While there are similarities, there are many differences.

This smallx technology was designed to process XML infosets.  The
convergence on
XML pipelines between Orbeon and smallx is just validation that it is
the right
idea for XML processing.  In fact, there are many other projects
supporting
XML pipelining technology (e.g. Cocoon, SXPipe, Markup Technology,
etc.).

In my case, this code base has been around for about four years and so
predates
my the release of Orbeon's software.  Of course, my smallx code wasn't
released
either.  ;)

In addition,  my essential requirement is that it support streaming of
infosets.  I process very large documents and need to keep my memory
requirements low.

The Orbeon Presentation Server project/product is really good
technology but
I'm not certain that the XML Pipelining technology is separable at the
current
time.  In the smallx project, the XML processing technology is a
completely separate
project (internally) from the J2EE servlet container integration.

Ultimately, while I use the XML Pipelining technology to implement web
services
and web applications, I have other uses in processing XML for
bioinformatics outside
of those contexts.

I would say, convergence on *one* XML pipelining specification language
would
be a really good thing!

-- Alex Milowski

"The excellence of grammar as a guide is proportional to the paucity of
the
considered."