   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] smallx XML Infoset and Pipeline Released (OpenSource

Alex Milowski wrote:

 > This smallx technology was designed to process XML infosets.

So does the XPL engine within OPS. It is in fact the kernel of OPS,
and it's sole purpose is to process XML infosets.

 > The convergence on XML pipelines between Orbeon and smallx is just
 > validation that it is the right idea for XML processing.  In fact,
 > there are many other projects supporting XML pipelining technology
 > (e.g. Cocoon, SXPipe, Markup Technology, etc.).

None of them being as good as XPL, in all modesty ;-)

 > In addition, my essential requirement is that it support streaming
 > of infosets.

The OPS XPL engine is based on SAX. I don't know if you have more in
mind regarding streaming.

 > The Orbeon Presentation Server project/product is really good
 > technology but I'm not certain that the XML Pipelining technology is
 > separable at the current time.

It is separable - and separate. For example, you can run raw pipelines
from the command line. The only misssing thing at this point is a
separate JAR file, but that's purely a packaging question.

 > I would say, convergence on *one* XML pipelining specification
 > language would be a really good thing!

Then I invite you to have a look at the XPL draft spec:

   http://www.orbeon.com/ops/2005/xpl/

I also invite you to post comments to the new ops-xpl mailing-list
that would illustrate similarities and differences with your language
and/or concepts for pipelining:

   http://forge.objectweb.org/mail/?group_id=168

-Erik