   Re: Non-infoset

Alessandro Triglia wrote:
 > See above.  I know for sure that there are many applications that
don't care about defining entities and referencing those defined
entities, or that are happy with either attribute delimiter, and so on.
  I would conclude that those applications would be happy with
exchanging infosets instead of XML 1.0 documents.  I am trying to
determine what is the weight of those applications overall.

We would all like these numbers. What percentage of XML is:

- Hand-authored?
- Program-generated?
- Used for data exchange?
- Used to generate publications?

Of the hand-authored XML, what percentage is written using tools that:

- Expose POT (plain old text)?
- Edit only the infoset (like form editors)?
- Edit only the infoset plus entities (like WYSIWYG XHTML editors,
structure editors)?

There are several permathreads around these questions, but I've never
seen a convincing answer here to these, or in fact, to any quantitative
question. I hope you have better luck. However, the last time it was
suggested here that the percentage of hand-authored XML written in POT
was small relative to the total, it was pretty roundly disagreed with.

Bob Foster