   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Non-infoset

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 6:23 am, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Taking away text XML and the pieces of XML intended to make human
> authoring feasible is like welding shut the hood of a car. Sure, 99
> times out of a 100 you can drive your car to the grocery store without
> opening the hood. But the ability to open the hood when you need to is
> necessary to avoid being a slave to a priesthood of mechanics with
> special welding tools. We need to make it possible for humans to pop
> open the hoods of their XML documents to perform routine maintenance
> when necessary, without needing special tools and training.

Well I absolutely agree with you.

I must admit I don't know much about infoset or non-infoset. Is Infoset a
binary format?

My comment is that just like word processors load up text lines and build
pointers in memory, I am sure exactly the same thing can be done with xml as
it is loaded in memory.

So whilst it may be text on disk, it can go "binary" as it is loaded in.

Goes to show what an old fogie I am... but when you grew up in the days of the
8 bit-ers, you came accross all these tricks and things that people used just
to get the software to be useable.

Oh well... ever onwards to 64-bit.... surely those things must bring on a
whole new playing field... and xml balls to kick from one end to the other..

David

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.