   Re: [xml-dev] A Stakeholder's Response: XQuery APIs for Middle Tier

xDevX.com ran a non-scientific online poll a few weeks ago which
asked:

 > Survey results released this week by tools vendor DataDirect
 > show more than half of developers use XQuery, even though the
 > spec is only a working draft. You're thinking:

I didn't want to point that out at the time - in fact, no one at
DataDirect did anything to promote this - to try to keep from
causing the Heisenberg effect.  We wanted to wait until the poll
had been pushed off of the homepage page for a few days before
commenting.

Here are their results, visible at
http://www.devx.com/DevX/Poll/27727/0/showResults/1

 > I totally buy that. We implemented XQuery and it's incredibly useful.
 >   43%
 > Sounds reasonable, as we'll be using it soon, too.
 >   16%
 > That number is inflated. How about some data from an *impartial* source?
 >   11%
 > What's XQuery?
 >   30%
 > Total Votes: 302

The third answer isn't really orthogonal (i.e. it does not
indicate if the respondent is using XQuery or not); a better
question would asked how many see no value in XQuery. But even
still their results point to over half of those polled said that
they either are already using XQuery or planning to do so, which
was a key finding of our own survey.

The DevX survey was featured on their main homepage, and on all
of their "Zone" homepages for .NET, Java, C++, Database, Open
Source, Web Development, XML, VB, ASP/ASP.NET, Wireless, etc. -
presumably their readership are not exclusively "XML developers".

--
Sincerely,
Tony Lavinio