   Re: [xml-dev] Something altogether different?

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:28 pm, Ken North wrote:
> My definition of enterprise systems or enterprise applications is those
> that are essential to fulfilling the purpose of the organization, staying
> in business, or both. My view of the 'The Web' and web applications
> includes not only its size (60+ million web sites), but how we're using the
> web, and secondarily, what we're doing most often. There's clearly an
> overlap. For some organizations, web applications are essential for
> survival and fulfilling their purpose.
> .. ..
> .. ..
> A lot of businesses have linked back office systems to portals and web
> sites (e.g., Merrill Lynch, eTrade, Bank of America, Citibank). Even
> manufacturing organizations have built enterprise apps using a web portal
> architecture. Boeing, for example, has a portal for repair facilities and
> customers needing spares lists, regulatory documents and technical
> documentation.

Yes Ken, that is right.

There's no arguments that the web is big, fast and furious, alive and well in
big business.

And of course, Small businesses love search engines and email like there is no
tomorow. I'm just stating the obvious here.

But there is more to computers than websites. More capabilities to harness,
more data to exchange.

At the other end of the spectrum from the so called "enterprise" are the small
businesses, who really stand to benefit just as much, if not more as the big
companies from the use of XML.

The challenge of course is developing products that are 'upside-down' to allow
them to participate on equal terms with the 'big-boys'.

I think what you are saying in the above email is "more of the same" rather
than something altogether different.

oh well - just another day in the xml swamp I guess

David

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.