   Re: [xml-dev] Something altogether different?

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> I guess it depends on how you define 'The Web'. I wouldn't consider inter-enterprise communications to be "on the Web" or to be "web applications" but I'm sure that there are definitions of the Web that would take them into account.

Or maybe how you define inter-enterprise communications. And of course
inter-enterprise activities can be said to be by definition not on the
Web if it suits (whither WS)? The point is that the distinction is
sufficiently artificial in some cases that dividing systems as being on
or off the web is too abstract to be useful. It's increasingly common to
see operational activities that one were squarely run inside an
enterprise have to be moved to the edges. By 'edge' I mean a web facing
application living in a DMZ and by 'operational activities' I'm not
talking about buying stuff, or transaction processing systems that come
to mind when talking about middleware.  I'm talking about softer
activities - business processes and projects that involve partners
(systems on the lines of Basecamp or Plone), CRM (Salesforce), support
for customers (Jira/Bugzilla), support for remote staff (web based CMSes
like Confluence and again Plone), software development models that
increasingly styled after open source (Sforge/Collabnet/Codehaus/ASF).
Probably pretty much any communications activity with third-parties that
has normally been done (suboptimally) using email is candidate for
re-architecting to a web style.  Heck I bet somebody will end up running
a photo business or a graphic design house on flickr some day.

cheers
Bill