   Re: [xml-dev] XSD spec question

On 27 Apr 2005, at 19:50, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> On mer, 2005-04-27 at 09:00 +0300, Razvan MIHAIU wrote:
>>  a good example, but I am not concerned about this
>> situation.
>>     Let's suppose that you will use some attributes that will actually
>> influence the validation performed with your Schema. Is that a good
>> practice ? Is it widespread ? Currently, I never encoutered a project
>> in which XML Schema is extended in this way.
>
> This would be a very poor practice and that's forbidden by the WXS rec
> that says that foreign attributes should be ignored as far as
> validation
> is concerned.

using extensions to change the meaning of existing data is dangerous
without a required / mustUnderstand mechanism .. (ducks) ..

> The reason why these attributes are allowed is to provide additional
> annotation facilities.

using extensions to add conformance claims or additional co-constraints
in another language such as Schematron are the use-cases that spring
immediately to my befuddled mind.

Paul
--
http://blog.whatfettle.com