   Re: [xml-dev] When to namespace a vocabulary?

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 14:01 +1200, Fraser Crichton wrote:
> Brilliant, thanks.
>
> I'm particularly interested in -
>
> "*Make distinctions in XML namespaces only when there are truly
> distinctions between the things being named.*"
>
> I think my current problem is deciding what makes something distinct
> enough to give it it's own namespace and what level of granularity I
> should adopt.

I think that the attitude to take is "there has to be a really *good*,
specific reason for me to make up a new namespace for X".  I think if
you have to ask whether there is enough distinction, there probably
isn't.

Then again, as I say in the article, there are no hard and fast rules.
It takes a delicate touch, as with all design issues.  And this one
involves naming things so it takes a touch of sheer gossamer.

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net                    http://fourthought.com