   Re: [xml-dev] Jim Gray article on Next Generation Databases

i'm with david on this - it's groundhog day.

every decade or so someone starts the debate with supposedly better
technology. the terminlogy and the languages have changed, but really,
we were doing all this with uucp 25 years ago.

and a well design relational dbms (if we can ever ditch sql) will always
be  the right place to put things.

if you watch this and similar perma threads you'll notice the "better"
ways promoted. then the problems listed. then the better solution. and
then the vendor spin...

so i'm cynical about this and bored - seen it so many times.

in the high speed lane of technology we don't seem to learn and
therefore get to repeat history - but at least every decade because we
work faster than the rest of society....

rick

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but in Gray's article, the
> vision does not seem to include a middle tier. The database becomes
> the center of the universe, and pretty much everything we associate
> with the middle tier becomes part of the database. The database also
> takes on some of the functionality traditionally associated with an
> operating system.
>
> How likely is this? Do users want that level of centralization?
>
> Jonathan

> !DSPAM:4278d66f170342100871308!

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall