   Re: [xml-dev] Jim Gray article on Next Generation Databases

> just wandering if anyone has tried storing the dom as directory
> entries in a unix/linux file system? it's made to do this sort of
> thing really fast.

Yes, and apart from the fact that you can have multiple directory
entries with exactly the same name, it all works fine in resierfs. How
much value it is is entirely a separate question.

Back in 1997 I did another hack called dwnfs: this took DynaWeb, which
used stylesheets to convert SGML/XML into HTML and derived navigable
TOC's at runtime, and layered an NFS server I wrote on top of it...
that way you could navigate 200MB SGML files as though they were
directories and HTML pages... change the stylesheets and the pages and
directories would change. That got really interesting when we then
served that file system using HTTP, so we ended up with

   SGML + stylesheets --- http --> dwnfs -- http --> browser

All in a very RESTish manner (no RPC over HTTP, just URLs). I still
have the code for this (and FWIW. the code includes good examples of
embedding scripts in XML....).
IMHO. dwnfs was more valuable than shredding XML into a filesystem...