   Re: [xml-dev] Principles of XML design

> Sure.  I pointed out that Infoset connection in the article.  This
> distinction has not been common knowledge.  Considering that the
> Infoset
> is not normative in a surprising number of XML applications (i.e.
> you're
> not using WXS, XQuery, c14N, XInclude, etc.), this is certainly
> something that there should have been at least some more attention to
> in
> the XML 1.0 spec.  Evidence for that is that element parse order is a
> question that does come up among users in practice, and they tend to
> look to the spec for inspiration.

I think that if anything, all discussion of processing, including
attribute order, should be removed from the spec. XML is a syntax, and
what applications do with it is entirely up to them. Parser behaviour
is best defined in that standard (i.e. SAX et al)... and that will
determine the "infoset" that results when using those parsers. Whether
the parser specifications themselves refer to yet another spec
(InfoSet) is an open question...