   Re: [xml-dev] Principles of XML design

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 12:05 -0400, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> > Sure.  I pointed out that Infoset connection in the article.  This
> > distinction has not been common knowledge.  Considering that the
> > Infoset
> > is not normative in a surprising number of XML applications (i.e.
> > you're
> > not using WXS, XQuery, c14N, XInclude, etc.), this is certainly
> > something that there should have been at least some more attention to
> > in
> > the XML 1.0 spec.  Evidence for that is that element parse order is a
> > question that does come up among users in practice, and they tend to
> > look to the spec for inspiration.
>
> I think that if anything, all discussion of processing, including
> attribute order, should be removed from the spec. XML is a syntax, and
> what applications do with it is entirely up to them. Parser behaviour
> is best defined in that standard (i.e. SAX et al)...

What standard?  Many parsers do not use SAX.  There is no standard
processing model.  Users do seek a standard processing model.  That's
the problem.

> and that will
> determine the "infoset" that results when using those parsers. Whether
> the parser specifications themselves refer to yet another spec
> (InfoSet) is an open question...

I understand your basic point.  If there were a standard processing
model, that would be one thing.  The problem is that there isn't, and
it's well demonstrated that this is a source of confusion.  This
confusion is the problem.  It could be solved in any number of ways, of
course, but saying so doesn't itself make up a solution.

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net                    http://fourthought.com