Lists Home |
Date Index |
- To: Richard Tobin <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Order of attributes
- From: Mukul Gandhi <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 23:34:32 -0700 (PDT)
- Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; b=cd6P82YA9w3Z//AgOs1jjSUgFSvCPxUIXCVCZW3wfRRTMKUylfXPZQd1xvI91GS4N5zZi4A/nosvh4GJVdQzA2JqwhSOAQZ3EPdpZe0+vz/Uyk9hkLd8cEMgLeTZWxqQsalWxTs85KnZGULWLq9alnpUoW7hU5koQQScVvNgpF4= ;
- In-reply-to: 6667
I agree with Mr. Tobin .. I would imagine elements as
objects, and attributes as the object's properties. I
think(IHMO) the object's properties are not supposed
to be ordered (so should attributes)..
--- Richard Tobin <email@example.com> wrote:
> No, because that's not what attributes are for. The
> attributes of an
> element are uniquely identified by their names, and
> the children are
> not. The semantics of an attribute depends on its
> name, not its
> position within the start tag.
> You can write down a matrix of the properties of
> attributes and child
> elements: whether they are named, whether their
> order is significant,
> whether they have recursive structure (it helps to
> have several dimensions
> to write in :-). The three I listed give you 8
> possible combinations;
> XML (and SGML) only provide two of them, but they
> are two that cover
> a lot of useful cases.
> >More practically, if a parser guarantees reporting
> attributes to the
> >application in their order of occurrence in a
> document, would this be a
> >reason to declare the parser incompliant with XML
> No, of course not. An XML editor is the obvious
> example of an
> application that can benefit from that information.
> But an XML editor
> does not use an XML document for its semantics.
> -- Richard
> The xml-dev list is sponsored by XML.org
> <http://www.xml.org>, an
> initiative of OASIS <http://www.oasis-open.org>
> The list archives are at
> To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list use the
Stay in touch with email, IM, photo sharing and more. Check it out!