   RE: [xml-dev] Well-established uses of processing instructions?

> Perhaps I'm unusual, but I find it easier to write
>
> <xsl:template match="processing-instruction('current-dateTime')">
>   <xsl:value-of select="current-dateTime()"/>
> </xsl:template>
>
> than to set up CGIs and cron jobs.

Don't even need a CGI actually. My UNIX is utterly rusty, but it
should only be something like

>crontab -e
0 0 * * * date --iso-8601 > /var/www/dateTime
:w
:q

which certainly has fewer keystrokes, and does not need to
be redone for every stylesheet.

But I agree with Michael that if you are using XSLT and are familiar
with XSLT and you don't care that the documents are not portable,
then using PIs+XSLT to generate text is completely workable.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe