   Schema-type-aware SAX processing

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Schema-type-aware SAX processing
  • From: "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@maden.org>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:05:55 -0700 (PDT)

Surely I am not the first person to try doing this, but I can't seem to
find any prior art nor any straightforward way to do this.

I have data that may be arbitrarily large and may conform to arbitrary
XSDL schemata.  Because of the size, I want to process the document as an
event stream (hence SAX), and I want to make different processing
decisions based on the declared types from the schema and based on the
ultimate base types, if there's any type inheritance.

What's the right tool?  Perl is the language of choice, but I'm flexible.

I've looked at libxml2 (and XML::LibXML), Xerces-C++ (and
Xerces-p/XML::Xerces), and XSV.  They are all focused on validation; the
document is checked as to whether it fulfills the schema, but there does
not seem to be a straightforward way to say, "Hi.  I'm an element.  What
type am I?"

What am I missing?  Will SAXON-SA provide this ability?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
[a thousand days lurking but not yet dead]
--
Christopher R. Maden, Data Architect, Applied Minds, Inc.
357 Tehama St., San Francisco, CA, USA