   RE: [xml-dev] Using Me Using You

This is offtopic for this list, but busy people are already
opting out.

Progress and evolution:  I am not optimistic or pessimistic.
I observe behavior.  The things Clay and others write about
were exhaustively discussed before they got to them.
Is it progress that more people are writing about those
topics now?  Possibly.  Is it progress that people like
yourself attribute the ideas to them because that is the
first place you encountered those ideas?  No.  It means
the viewpoint is limited in time.  Viewpoint is the crucial key
to observing and measuring such systems, and without a
definition for viewpoint, any discussion of evolution to
higher forms or devolution to lower forms is meaningless.

Chaos is a way of talking about systems that use feedback
yet are or become unpredictable.  The theory bears the same relationship to
behavior as XML does to content; it's a way of notating it.
Again, don't mistake tools for truth or value.  I get out
of bed because over time, I notice that devolution and evolution
are running at the same time in the same place and it depends
on what you measure and how you measure it relative to some
predetermined goal.  Absolute measures of progress aren't
found. Is the emergence of complex systems progress?  Is
the emergence of knowledge that simpler systems offer more
benefits to more people progress?  No smoking gun to be
found in either position.

Do you accept Larry McVoy's position that the only way to build a
profitable business around open source is to give the customer
crap because otherwise, why would they need services?  In other
words, is the goal of open source actually a devolutionary force?
Is attention.xml progress in focus or isolationism?  Is it
merely a means to allocate resources?  It is all of them.
Without the bounding box of the viewpoint, one can't know
which at any given moment.

History has examples aplenty of cultures and civilizations
that returned to simpler means and lower populations, sometimes
spectacularly quickly.  Typically, one or two of a few things happened:
they interupted the sustaining processes provided by the
environment (Mayan civilization land fatigue), the environment changed of
it's own accord (Chaco Canyon and Anasazi droughts (one theory)), internal
processes
created conditions that cause a 'fissure' (slave revolts in
Mediterranean civilizations that caused a collapse of the
regional civilizations because of raiding, or the theory that
the Anasazi were conquered by canibals from the central
american populations), and so on.  Note that for whatever reason,
the communities 'opted out' in both the mezo-american and the
mediterranean civilizations.  They both became cliff dwellers
and endured generations of privation as the trade-off for security.

That a succeeding group can build back up to complex conditions
and openness is also observed, but that may or may not be progress because
the original civilization is gone.

HTML was considered (actually is) a retrograde move in markup
but it had scaling effects.  That again, is a pattern often
observed.  Progress in markup was made by a small group of
people.  When the environment made it advantageous to use
markup at a larger scale, it had to be collapsed into a more
primitive form first.  Progress?   Well, sure if you adopt
a measure that relies on large numbers.  In terms of the
technology itself, it was a leap backwards.

Will communities opt out?  They already have.  Sure that is
an intelligent choice.  Is that progress?  Maybe but it means
that occasionally important changes will occur without their
participation and as a result, they will become less important.
Keep in mind what the progress of Chinese and Arab/Semitic
civilizations were while the Europeans slid backwards.  Note
the isolation of the Chinese during that period.

Do we fear that?   Some do.  Can we change that?  No, not
if we want to maintain our own status quo.  Can communities
that opt out make progress on their own and share that?  They
certainly can, in fact, that is a common pattern.

So we agree here.  I simply don't adopt an optimistic attitude
or a pessimistic one.  It is to me like observing music that
can be pleasant, unpleasant, structured or stochastic, and I
know that stochastic systems can create complex behavior without
any external intelligence, and that a stochastic system with
an external intelligence can create chaotic behaviors.  It
depends on what is measured and how long you observe.

len