len

From: Dare Obasanjo [mailto:dareo@microsoft.com]

Microsoft's position has been consistent. We don't think there is a single
binary standard that will satisfy the myriad use cases of XML* and more
importantly we worry that a 'standardized' binary XML format by an
organization like the W3C will lead to fragmentation of the interoperability
story of XML.

* We just announced that the next version of Office will use compressed XML
as its primary file format. Although this works fine for Office, it would
not work fine for other products at Microsoft. Similarly I doubt that Sun's
fast infoset would be as satisfactory an option for storing office
documents.