   Re: [xml-dev] Faster XML (encryption, compression, web services)

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 3:46 pm, Ken North wrote:
> Your comments about small business adoption of XML are interesting, but I
> don't see a causal relationship -- that SMEs aren't adopting XML because we
> need "faster XML".

Best talk to the plumbing supply companies and the Home Depot type
companies of the world and find out from them direct.

Their concerns are at a whole different level and I don't easily think I
could wrap it up in one paragraph or email.

XML could certainly help them but it needs to be wound into and end
user systems in any case. To be directly useable.

> Putting the plumber and small businesses aside for a while, let's return to
> solutions for faster XML processing (when the goal is to process thousands
> of documents per second).

Sorry. It's been a long time since I worked on systems like that. ie banking
systems. What I like working on now is 'complex' xml systems that are 'slow'
and can get the typical user job done in under one second.

> We know there are appliances (IP addressable). We know there are ASICs and
> plug-in boards, ....
>...need computing cycles for encryption, decryption, schema validation,
> queries, compression and transformations. If web services (and grid
> services) grow to a point where there are hundreds of thousands or millions
> of services, we'll need discovery on a 24x7 basis.

You're right of course.

But Grid based autodiscovery is patented by IBM. So it is doing something
else is what the rest of us will have to do.

The latest hardware is with the local plumbers these days.. not in some
big business. The big companies are really against us software junkies
having any real "computer playtime".

We have a computer wrecking shop here. S/H Dell Pentium 800mhz jobbies
can be bought for $75 with memory,hdd etc inc screen and keyboard.

They are great for connecting into a grid. They stack nicely and all have
the same network cards. So that's about 10 machines for $750.

So anything is possible these days with xml on a shoestring budget.

Regards

David

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.