   Faster XML (encryption, compression, web services)

> please let me know when you actually find a plumber
> with such a board.
>
> Seriously.... I have no idea where you are coming
> from on this or trying to go to....

In a May 5 message we were discussing technology such as firmware and hardware
acceleration.

You wrote "So is that as fast as the 2.4Ghz 64-bit thing that my local plumber
just bought last week?"

The answer is yes. However, small and medium enterprises (SMEs) don't need that
much computing power to process only a few dozen documents or messages a day.

> then start thinking about reasons plumbers aren't exactly
> flocking to xml.....

Your comments about small business adoption of XML are interesting, but I don't
see a causal relationship -- that SMEs aren't adopting XML because we need
"faster XML".

Putting the plumber and small businesses aside for a while, let's return to
solutions for faster XML processing (when the goal is to process thousands of
documents per second).

We know there are appliances (IP addressable). We know there are ASICs and
plug-in boards, including one that claims to do 70,000 documents per second.
Some organizations have thousands of PCs and servers, many with spare capacity,
so grids are a candidate technology that we've not discussed.

If we're processing thousands of documents or messages per second, then we need
computing cycles for encryption, decryption, schema validation, queries,
compression and transformations. If web services (and grid services) grow to a
point where there are hundreds of thousands or millions of services, we'll need
discovery on a 24x7 basis.

www.WebServicesSummit.com
www.SQLSummit.com
www.GridSummit.com