   Re: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent

For what it's worth, my disgust here is primarily with the USPTO, which
  doesn't seem to have the expertise, wherewithall, or inclination to
determine prior art or obviousness for software patents. (Goodness only
knows how obviousness is defined. What's obvious to one person is magic
to another.)

As Michael points out, this presents the software community with a
pretty nasty Catch-22. If they don't patent, they expose themselves to
risk. If they do patent, they expose everybody else.

-- Ron