   Re: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent

The patent application process becomes an effective barier to
>    entry for the small innovators that they tout as the little guy
>    that the patent office serves to protect.
>
>    I might have an idea that is every bit as novel as something
>    found at Large Firm Research, but when do I have the time, as an
>    individual, to write out a patent application? I barely have
>    enough time to write out my code and documentation.
>
>    I've often thought of some sort of patent union for small
>    firms, open source developers, a treaty organization. The Apache
>    2.0 License does something like this.

by being a member of such a union, one could default all invention to
the union for protection...of course nuclear options would have to be
built into the union's charter so no corporation could somehow take it
over...might have to go down an NGO route as well. A franchise model
whereby a network of vertical / horiontal industries have their own
unions, with an international umbrella org.

So are there any patent lawyers lurking to start up Software Developer
Patent Union?

also a patent union would have to span the world, which means the yanks
would have to get on with the french....and we will have to restrain the
brits from mentioning the war....

cheers, Jim Fuller

note: nice link re EU stance on patents http://www.droit-technologie.org/1_2.asp?actu_id=1078