   RE: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent

In the main, Big Software doesn't pounce on little guys for various reasons.
However, finding no case for a lone practicioner doesn't mean there have not
been threats. That's a FUD argument.  Only Big Software would know who they
threatened, particularly in the past.  They certainly wouldn't publicize it.
The only reason the MikeRoweSoft case is known is because the press picked
it up.

HOWEVER, patents per se is not the issue. Let the USPTO do what it will.
The real problem is who gets to develop what and without fear.  Seems IBM is
taking some baby steps along that direction  - IBM is making using some 500
existing patents painless ::
(New York Times, 11 January 2005)
"I.B.M. will continue to hold the 500 patents. But it has pledged to seek no
royalties from and to place no restrictions on companies, groups or
individuals who use them in open-source projects, as defined by the Open
Source Initiative, a nonprofit education and advocacy group. The group's
definition involves a series of policies allowing for free redistribution,
publication of the underlying source code and no restrictions on who uses
the software or how it is used".

Barry Tauber ( btauber@interaccess.com ) 847-267-8011
International Representative, INCITS-J4
Certified Java, Microsoft (maybe just plain certified)