   RE: [xml-dev] Document oriented experience reports anyone?

Rick Jelliffe wrote
> Does "I know of almost no large uses of XSD for documents" count?

+1 from my small corner of the defence industry.

One of the things I am pushing here is use of XML as common currency for our concept engineering and OA studies; many of the models are XMI based, and so have an object model rather than a schema.

All documents I've encounter that have a definition are DTD, except a few greenfield I've had control over which are RelaxNG. All our web services are REST, or using SOAP with single endpoint, multiple action - the first element of the grams of a SOAP envelope is a 'verb ' that defines the action, either wrapping parameters or hrefs to models or data.

Neither XSD nor WSDL is currently used for data or services - we define both the data models and the interfaces to our services in UML, export to XMI, use XSLT to generate code, currently pre-deployment but are working on on-the-fly for some of the more rapidly changing models. Admittedly, it's a closed network not the wild wild web, so we don't care about talking to any standard web services, though we're following them to see if they'll prove useful.

Because it's used in OA and research projects, the schema evolves. XMI - at least in the manner we are using it - means the models and messages are backward and forward compatible over the vast majority of these changes.

We are working on topic map nodes that combine xhtml, MathML and SysML/XMI to give context, math model and system model that act as data input for simulation/analysis services and as human readable documentation and knowledge source.

Is a node containing an XHTML description, an SysML model, a MathML interpolation conditioning formula, a grid of aircraft performance data (or a link for data sets too big to inline), a 3D representation, etc. "data" or "document"? It's certainly too dynamic to want to think about using XSD for, and most of the authoring errors we get in the data are consistency between units and value bounds, so aren't amenable to XSD. It's just a heap of stuff that's linked together, and there's various tools in our pipeline that pull out the stuff they understand by looking at the namespace and following the hyperlinks to do interesting things with it.

Pete