>>Umm, I think you missed the point: you don't need any of this, you can
already do this (and far more) using XSLT. Eg, you can reference
(include) an XSLT from a document, you can add in-line XSLT to a
document as a (semi-proprietary) macro format, or add a "document" to
an XSLT stylesheet as a variable (or include)....<<

That sounds promising. The whole idea is that attribute heavy flat xml has an
... by the simplest most obvious means possible.

This leads me to ask ...using the <record> elements in my original example...
can you show some actual XSLT markup supporting this line of thinking?

regards,

bill p