David,

I am not really at the FAQ level on this.  I am an accountant with advanced technical
skills but far from a professional programmer type. I can say that I have studied and
understand most of the available XML technology and information theories behind it. Having
said that, the advice you provide is perfectly correct if I am interested in writing XSLT.
I would most admittedly need some help. :) However, your stylesheet example was really a
diversion from the central message ...the stylesheet was assumed in my "idea"(not that I
could easily write it).

Actually, I am saying that the stylesheet is so self-evident that we SHOULD not even need
it. We SHOULD (without anything application specific) be able to say  to users: "Here is
alternative with this or any other XML file you need to create.".

>>XML has (almost) no fixed names at all<<

at the level of reserved words in a programming language. It doesn't go against the intent
of XML because it is not a vocabulary, it is a general condition of all flat xml in any
vocabulary. It is like where I can transpose a range in a spreadsheet, but xml has no
official syntax to "flip" between flat to hierarchy ... and back.

After trying this on some existing files, I realized that, from now on, I will seldom want
to directly use native flat formats, and will front them all, all such vocabularies, with

I will also be writing some scripts for this, but we can agree that XSLT fills this purpose
nicely.
 ... and no doubt the particulars of XSLT is better taken up on a different forum.

Thanks much. I will check out Jeni's site ... have been there before and IIRC the same
grouping discussion is in her book.

regards,

bill p