   RE: [xml-dev] Another XML parsing idea? Was: Re: [xml-dev] XML Hangover)

> Let us take Java and Microsoft products (e.g. MSXML).
> A Java application has to take services of the
> Microsoft XML parser. I am not talking about any COM
> bridge etc. The Microsoft XML parser will implement a
> sort of protocol listner (similarly on Java side). The
> Java application will request for XML parsing over
> this protocol (presently hypothetical). Just now I am
> not sure what will be the semantics of this protocol;
> but to my opinion, it will work over native OS
> transport, like memory queues;)
>
> Does this sound possible to have?

It's entirely possible, but it's also unnecessary, since there are perfectly
good Java parsers around. If you have to run applications on a heterogeneous
platform, then you want to put the boundary where the amount of chat is
lowest.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/