   Re: [xml-dev] Mixed content in data-binding (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Interest

Original Message From: "Michael Kay"
> There are also applications of mixed content that don't fall into the
> classic "marked-up text" model. For example, it can be used to record
> "properties of properties", as in
> <email>fred@somewhere.com<last-modified>2005-02-02</last-modified></email>
> But it's an area where the XML Schema spec didn't carry through its design
> principle that elements should be able to do anything that attributes can
> do: if last-modified were an attribute then I could constrain the email
> address with a pattern facet.
> Michael Kay
> http://www.saxonica.com/

Thanks for the example Michael.  As I think you infer, XSD itself doesn't
really support this either.  For example, if <email> was marked as mixed,
the following would also be legal wouldn't it?:

Also, it is only implied, perhaps through documentation, that the first
CDATA event is the actual e-mail address value.  To capture it precisely, an
(abridged) schema would have to look something like:

<xs:element name=email><xs:ct>
        <xs:CDATA identifyingName=email><!-- new construct -->
        <xs:element name=last-modified ...

That said, I do find what you suggest aesthetically pleasing and I agree
that tools could do better here!

Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd
                         for XML to C++ data binding visit