   Re: Mixed content in data-binding (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Interestingpair of

On ven, 2005-07-15 at 08:24 +0100, Pete Cordell wrote:
> Original Message From: "Eric van der Vlist"
>
> > On jeu, 2005-07-14 at 11:54 -0400, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> >
> >> regardless, mixed content is not as uncommon or unexpected as many
> >> people think. It is not an accident. It is not bad form. It is not
> >> something to be avoided. It is the very natural way to express many
> >> extremely common constructs when modeling information, including
> >> so-called data-oriented applications (as if any information content were
> >> not data).
> >
> > Well said!
> >
> > Unfortunately, most people tend to exclude any mixed content from
> > data-oriented applications ...
>
> How do you think a data binding app should handle mixed content?

Some data binding applications do already support mixed content (IMO,
it's mostly a matter of defining that support as a requirement!).
Examples that come to mind are Amara
(http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/4Suite/amara/) but also XMLBeans (see
http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDataBinding.htm)

Eric

> We lump a
> complex types mixed content into a string and stop there, which I don't
> think is ideal (although it is a common approach).  Another approach could
> be to have strings in your language binding classes (in our case C++)
> interleaved with the data elements that would store the CDATA parts.  Would
> this be better?  Is there a need for both?

> important</p>) could possibly have been handled with an <xs:any
> namespace='xhtml'> construct.  Do you have any other examples of mixed use
> in data-oriented applications that would not be treated as xhtml?

I give one in the chapter of my RNG book that I mentioned in my previous
mail (http://books.xmlschemata.org/relaxng/relax-CHP-7-SECT-10.html):

I you were using an attribute to specify the currency, you would need to
find a way to specify if you want to display the currency before or
after the amount...

Of course, you can write:

<price>
  <amount>20</amount>
  <currency>USD</currency>
 </price>

but you can also consider that wrapping the amount into an amount
element is not really needed.

Eric

--
Read me on Advogato.