   Mixed content in data-binding (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Interesting pair of co

Original Message From: "Eric van der Vlist"

> On jeu, 2005-07-14 at 11:54 -0400, Elliotte Harold wrote:
>
>> regardless, mixed content is not as uncommon or unexpected as many
>> people think. It is not an accident. It is not bad form. It is not
>> something to be avoided. It is the very natural way to express many
>> extremely common constructs when modeling information, including
>> so-called data-oriented applications (as if any information content were
>> not data).
>
> Well said!
>
> Unfortunately, most people tend to exclude any mixed content from
> data-oriented applications ...

How do you think a data binding app should handle mixed content?  We lump a
complex types mixed content into a string and stop there, which I don't
think is ideal (although it is a common approach).  Another approach could
be to have strings in your language binding classes (in our case C++)
interleaved with the data elements that would store the CDATA parts.  Would
this be better?  Is there a need for both?

important</p>) could possibly have been handled with an <xs:any
namespace='xhtml'> construct.  Do you have any other examples of mixed use
in data-oriented applications that would not be treated as xhtml?

Thanks for your insights.

Pete.
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd