   Re: [xml-dev] Mixed content in data-binding (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Interest

I am having a hard time accepting the case for mixed content, especially
based on the arguments I have seen.  I thought one of the key points of
schemas was to provide validation mechanisms to allow bad content to be
rejected before it got to the application processing level.  In the examples
given, I can see alternate ways to write the schemas that don't use mixed
content that would provide better validation mechanisms.

In the case of the E-mail example, I would think you would want the E-mail
address wrapped inside an extra element.  This would provide the ability to
specify a pattern constraint to make sure it is indeed in the format of an
E-mail address if that is what you were expecting it to be.

In the case of  addresses having many different formats, I would think a
choice construct which enumerated the known formats would be better.  This
construct could contain an <xsd:any> wildcard at the end to catch those
items that did not fit the known patterns.

I suppose this is case of "document-centric" vs "data-centric" application
thinking (I am in the latter camp).  It would seem this might be a good
place to start when breaking down schema profiles.

Regards,

Ed Day
Objective Systems Inc.
http://www.obj-sys.com