   Re: [xml-dev] Is Web 2.0 the new XML?

* Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@gmail.com> [2005-08-10 02:19]:
> On 8/9/05, Gerald Bauer <gerald.bauer@mac.com> wrote:
>

> >    I was wondering if anyone on the list has any comments on the rising
> > Web 2.0 movement that seems gather all the momentum that plain old XML
> > once had.
>

> xml-dev regulars have written about it, pro, con, and mixed:
> http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=e8e3d501-0c1a-477d-9212-c7366020fa3d
>
> http://lesscode.org/2005/08/07/dont-take-your-memes-to-town
>
> Tim Bray's comment
> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2005/08/04/Web-2.0 is my
> favorite so far "  a lot of us are already on 3.0. .... But most
> times, the whole thing still feels like a shaky early beta to me."
>
> But what the heck ... There's a hype wave to surf, so folks are
> partying like it's 1998.

    If you are looking to ride that wave, XML is surf board of
    choice. Oh, my. That was awful.

    At the core of Web 2.0 are permalinks, hyper-linking, and
    syndication. Really, permalinks, are the core of the revolution,
    it was hard to get anything done when people kept moving and
    deleting data.

    I think that as the dust starts to settle, XSLT is going to
    become an important player in these applications.

    My 2 cents. Thanks for the reading.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
    - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html