   RE: [xml-dev] Is Web 2.0 the new XML?

Hello Gerald,

   Any comments? Any thoughts?

After some time swimming, another though came to my mind about the subject.

The computer world evolved:
a) It started with a central location of data and processes. (The mainframe
era): something analogous to the train, the subway or the bus.
b) We then saw the appearance of the desktop era: Something analogous to the
car.
c) When the web appeared we came back to a central location of processes and
data.
d) Now the world seems to evolve slowly toward distributed processing (some
processes running on the server some on the client) and shared data:
something analogous to an always connected car.

Previous generation developers where confined to the boundaries of limited
organizations. Now the web is a much bigger entity and the latter contains
more diversified data. Developers can now access data packaged as XML
documents or through a kind of function call (SOAP or REST with parameters).

An interesting trend is also democratization of the data. People have now
their take by providing some part of the data. They vote, they comment, they
label things.

Maybe the web is becoming what Teilhard De Chardin was calling the
noosphere. For more practical minds we can say it is becoming distributed
intelligence. Planet earth has now an evolving brain.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin