   Re: [xml-dev] Is Web 2.0 the new XML?

* Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com> [2005-08-10 08:41]:
> Hello Gerald,
>
>    Any comments? Any thoughts?
>
> After some time swimming, another though came to my mind about the subject.
>
> The computer world evolved:

> a) It started with a central location of data and processes. (The
> mainframe era): something analogous to the train, the subway or
> the bus.

> b) We then saw the appearance of the desktop era: Something
> analogous to the car.

> c) When the web appeared we came back to a central location of
> processes and data.

> d) Now the world seems to evolve slowly toward distributed
> processing (some processes running on the server some on the
> client) and shared data: something analogous to an always
> connected car.

   This ties in below. The desktop was an intial democratization of
   data. Moving it out of a department in a firm, spreading it
   around the firm. People are able to attack that information with
   desktop databases, spreadsheets.

   Then the web comes along and repeats the process for the
   non-enterprise world.

> Previous generation developers where confined to the boundaries of
> limited organizations. Now the web is a much bigger entity and the
> latter contains more diversified data. Developers can now access
> data packaged as XML documents or through a kind of function call
> (SOAP or REST with parameters).

> An interesting trend is also democratization of the data. People
> have now their take by providing some part of the data. They vote,
> they comment, they label things.

> Maybe the web is becoming what Teilhard De Chardin was calling the
> noosphere. For more practical minds we can say it is becoming
> distributed intelligence. Planet earth has now an evolving brain.

    Interesting too is the evolution of the cells. As data becomes
    distrubuted, I believe there are going to, er, ad hoc data bases
    that are defined by the links between individuals. We're going
    to start seeing technologies for searching in the small, running
    a psychological profile on a candidate employee's blog, for
    example, in respose to the resume, or searching by following the
    links, rather than indexing.

    All those intelligent agent fantasies can come true, now that
    the web is organizing around individuals. A search algorithm
    doesn't start with index, it breaks down the content of a feed
    to determine which link to follow next. If there is an index, it
    is one hosted by the feed. The shape of that index is the result
    of a democratic process among the agents.

    (Working on it.)

    The irony is that Google created a structure that will
    eventually make Google irrelevant. Blogs came about to increase
    the Google ranking. Linking is used as a currency among
    bloggers, since more links means for a higher rating.

    Currently, their is a fuss in the blogosphere about "A-List"
    bloggers. They're saying that the "A-List" bloggers ought to
    introduce newer bloggers to their readership. The latest
    class of bloggers are finding that the early adopters are
    entrenched. This is preceeding a revolution where ranking and
    relevence are determined by individuals, not algorithms.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
    - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html