   RE: [xml-dev] Web 2.0 - Leading the Web to its full potential byside-ste

Hello Bjoern,

Speaking on the subject of IE vs Mozilla as an AJAX platform, I would say
that overall IE has several advantages over Mozilla. I know that it's taboo
to say that and probably my it's probably something to be categorized as
"non-speak" by Huxelians :-) Anyway here are the facts (I know some people
hate facts :-) )

A) debugging an XML document transformed into HTML+javascript is easier to
do on IE. Why? On IE, most of the time I can step into javascript code after
an XSLT transformation. Something I cannot do with mozilla and Venkman. In
mozilla you need to transform the document separately before debugging.
Bottom line: most costly to develop full AJAX applications in Mozilla.

B) The rendition is easier on IE. For instance, resizing is automatically
handled most of the time in IE but not necessarily in Mozilla. I can provide
use case if needed.

I would that the best debugging tools I found for IE are the Office
javascript editor/debugger or the Studio environment. Both allow XSLT
transformation before stepping into the code and both supports drag and drop
of variable or expression into the watch area. In Venkman you need to retype
the variable or the expression in the watch area. Also, because it is still
in alpha since a veeeeery long time, the latest incarnation refuses to work
when you type a new variation saying that it cannot load the treeView
component. To resolve this you need to re-install the debugger. I can hardly
say that it is a productive environment.

It's clear that IE is actually superior to Mozilla when you want to do
serious AJAX and XML+XSLT transformations. The full power of AJAX can be
achieved when you directly access the DB, get directly an XML document,
transform it into an HTML construct, let's say for example a treeView, and
add behavior to it with javascript. Any environment that allows me to do it
more efficiently is a better environment. Actually only IE make the cut, not
Mozilla. Off course, If I have plenty of time and do not want to be
productive that's another story, Mozilla is sufficient enough. But I have
more important things in life than saying to the emperor that his clothes
are the most beautiful things on earth when in fact he is naked. It is also
more honest.

It's probably time to say when the emperor has no clothes no?

Cheers
Didier PH Martin

PS: To be fair with Mozilla, I can say that it has less memory leaks than
IE. But I would say that its error handling mechanism is weaker than IE.
Mozilla is easier to break than IE.