   Re: [xml-dev] Web 2.0 - Leading the Web to its full potential by side-st

* Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> [2005-08-10 15:47]:
> * Gerald Bauer wrote:
> >    Also allow me to highlight that pretty much all Web 2.0 innovations
> >side step the W3C bureaucracy and its self-styled visionaries and
> >leaders e.g.
> >
> >   o XmlHttpRequest -  A innovation introduced by - suprise, suprise - Microsoft
> >   o User JavaScripts  - A innovation introduced by Firefox Hackers
> >   o Web Graphics Using Canvas Tag and JavaScript - A innovation introduced by Apple
>
> Well, it seems few people realize that Microsoft's Internet Explorer
> is an extremely rich platform; XMLHTTPRequest had to be discoved long
> after it was available, few people are aware that IE ships with a
> vector graphics implementation or that it supports compound document
> formats such as HTML+SMIL.
>
> The same goes for "User JavaScripts", IE4 allowed to use scripts
> inside style sheets and supported user style sheets which some people
> used to create "User JavaScripts". I've used it for example to add
> class attributes to specific documents so I can filter out stuff or
> change annoying styles more easily.

    etc, etc, etc...

    Also, IE has a built in XSLT engine.

    Mozilla has one, but it's too slow. Mozilla however, through
    XPCOM exposes everything as an object, which provides for a
    large and effective API.

    Part of the reason Mozilla took so long to catch on was that
    Mozillans were too busy flogging XUL, and the lack of a decent
    Mozilla forum, since the project discussion took place mainly on
    IM. It's not suprising to me that it took people by surprise.

    My last "AJAX" application side stepped XMLHTTPRequest and used
    the Mozilla sink interfaces directly.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
    - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html